Acne is a common skin disorder of the sebaceous gland characterized by comedones, Papules, Pustules and cysts. While it is a globally prevalent problem, information regarding Acne is insufficient.
Acne can affect all age groups. It affects both sexes equally with a starting age between 12-14 years. The peak age for severity in females is 16-17 and for males is 17-19 years.
Why teenagers are the most affected?
Androgenic hormones, especially di-hydro testosterone stimulate sebaceous gland activity. Human sebaceous glands contain 5α-reductase, 3α- and 17α- hydroxy steroid dehydrogenase which convert weak androgen to di-hydro testosterone which increase the sebum secretion. Surge of androgens at puberty produce sudden increase in sebum excretion which sets the stage for acne.
Many factors combine to cause acne.
Sebum – Excessive Sebum excretion
Hormones– Androgens are the main stimulant of sebum secretion. Nearly fifty percent of females with acne have slightly raised free testosterone levels.
Poral occlusion– Genetic influence and environmental factors (use of Cosmetics, oil) are the cause. Normally dead skin cells rise to the surface of the pore and the body sheds these cells. When the body starts to make lots of sebum, the dead skin cells can stick together inside the pore and lead to clogging which causes acne.
Bacteria– Sometimes bacteria (Propionibacterium acnes) that lie on the skin can also get inside the clogged pore. Inside the pore, the bacteria have a perfect environment for quick multiplication. With loads of bacteria inside, the pores become inflamed which leads to cyst formation.
Genetic– About half of acne patients have a family history of acne.
Tropical – Heat and humidity can worsen the severity of acne
Today, there are many effective treatments which are mostly topical. The aim of treatment is to kill the bacteria and reduce sebum. However, by taking some basic precautions, acne can be managed effectively:
- Wash twice a day and after sweating. Perspiration – especially when wearing a hat or helmet can make acne worse
- Apply Eve Fresh Pimple Cure Cream Paste on the affected areas and allow it to dry
- Rinse with lukewarm water and soap to remove surface sebum
- Keep the hands away from face
- If hair is oily in nature, use shampoo everyday
- Wash pillowcases, hats and clothes regularly
- There is no concrete evidence that dietary constituents except iodine can cause acne. But low glycemic diets are advisable and it is better to avoid certain foods like nuts, chocolates and dairy products.