Chronic pain is defined as pain lasting beyond normal tissue healing time, generally taken to be 12 weeks. It contributes to disability, anxiety, depression, sleep disturbances, poor quality of life and healthcare costs. Chronic pain has a weighted mean prevalence in adults of 20%.
For many years, the treatment choice for chronic pain included recommendations for rest and inactivity. However, exercise may have specific benefits in reducing the severity of chronic pain, as well as more general benefits associated with improved overall physical and mental health and physical functioning.
Physical activity or exercise can improve your health and reduce the risk of developing several diseases like type 2 diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease. Physical activity and exercise can have immediate and long-term health benefits. Most importantly, regular activity can improve your quality of life. A minimum of 30 minutes a day can allow you to enjoy these benefits.
If you are regularly physically active, you may:
- Have a lower blood cholesterol level & lower blood pressure
- Have stronger bones, muscles and joints and lower risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Lower your risk of falls
- Recover better from periods of hospitalization or bed rest
- Improve your memory and brain function (all age groups).
- Protect against many chronic diseases.
- Aid in weight management.
- Improve heart health.
- Improve your quality of sleep.
- Reduce feelings of anxiety and depression.
- Combat cancer-related fatigue.
- Improve relief from joint pain and stiffness.
- Maintain muscle strength and balance.
- Increase life span.
A healthier state of mind
A number of studies have found that exercise helps depression. There are many views as to how exercise helps people with depression:
- Exercise may block negative thoughts or distract you from daily worries.
- Increased fitness may lift your mood and improve your sleep patterns.
- Exercise may also change levels of chemicals in your brain, such as serotonin, endorphins and stress hormones.
10 different diagnoses (osteoarthritis (a joint disease), rheumatoid arthritis (joint pain and swelling), fibromyalgia (widespread pain condition), low back pain, intermittent claudication (cramping pain in the legs), dysmenorrhoea (period pain), mechanical neck disorders (neck pain), spinal cord injury, postpolio syndrome (a condition occurring in people who have had polio), patellofemoral pain (pain at the front of the knee)) – Physical activity improves the condition in recovering.
The physical activity can increase focusing on building strength, endurance, flexibility and range of motion and muscle activation. Thus physical activity can reduce the severity of pain, improve physical function and a variable effect on both psychological function and quality of life.
In this modern world, we may get more results when we use bath lotions which contain pain relieving herbals during bathing. AKSHUN lotion for pain relief is one such product with well known pain relieving herbals.
A unique, innovative and first ever bathing lotion for pain relief
- Instant action/relief from pain & long lasting effect.
- Enhanced absorption of actives
- Gives refreshing feel after bath/ wash
- Cleansing benefit that keeps skin soft
- Non sticky and Non messy formula
- No odor post use
- Ease of use compared to other pain relief products
Warm water exercise two to three times a week gives better results in pain management.
Elderly people with arthritis and back pain follow the regular physical activity and proper warm water bathing and lead pain free life with minimum intake of internal drugs.